Monday 20 June 2016

Who is Rouge


"I am more focused on the way I want my lyrics to touch people. Yes, the image is important; but I want to tell a story that people can relate to”


South Africa has a small number of females in the hip-hop industry, and 23- year-old French-speaking Barbara Wedi, famously known as Rouge, is one of the few aiming to change the game and up the level of greatness as she forges her way through the hip-hop culture in S.A


Rouge started rapping with one of her friends and used to listen to her R.n.b songs and suggested that she rap instead of singing the lyrics. At first she thought it was a ridiculous idea then she tried it she thought other wise,The flow was amazing and she could not stop rapping.
I am more focused on the way I want my lyrics to touch people. Yes, the image is important; but I want to tell a story that people can relate to”


That's what rouge said in an interview with the citizen newspaper when asked what sets her apart from most of the hip hop artist that we know, she also added that People expect us to beef (hate on each other), but this is not the case. In fact, we all respect one another’s hustle and support each other. 2016 is the year for the females, and we just want to bring our personal A-game. In future, I could perhaps do collaborations; but right now I need to focus on my brand and my production’s success.


What inspires her music.
My everyday life – from my family, friends and daily experiences. But even artists influence my music, from the likes of Lauryn Hill to Drake. I love how they tell their stories through songs. That is what I want to do.


What inspires her hair ?
My hair is very important to me. I have been doing these curls since I was in high school. I have always been very bold and had a bold hairstyle. My name Rouge means red, so it’s a bright colour that stands out. Even though I don’t do it intentionally, my clothes and everything about me always stand out.




Twitter: @1_RougeInstagram: rouge__1

No comments:

Post a Comment